Friday, February 12, 2010

German cuckoo clocks made in China


This weekend a coworker of Mike' became stuck in Stuttgart due to the blizzard in Washington D.C. He had never been to Germany before and we offered to give him a tour of the area. The first day we showed him around downtown Stuttgart but on Saturday we decided to be adventurous again and headed for the Black Forest.




The Black Forest is known for the famous cuckoo clocks. The guy in the picture was a talking animatron who reminded me of disturbing version of Abraham Lincoln who chimed , "HELLO!!" whenever anyone opened the door. The boys walked around the guy, giving it a wide birth and I just wondered what made the owners do this. We didn't stay around that place too long. Just long enough to see some extremely expensive clocks.


This massive cuckoo clock was next to the creepy Lincoln. The name of the store was, "House of 1,000 Clocks." Can anyone say tourist trap?



















The town we visited is Triberg and is the classic German city. Even this hotel looks like it came from a Grimm fairy tale



Triberg is known to have the biggest waterfall in Germany and while I don't think it is much bigger than the one in Toccoa, it certainly is breathtaking.










The snow was piled up quite high all around Triberg and the men graciously stood still long enough to take a picture. This was taken outside another cuckoo clock place, but this was one that smelled of freshly cut wood and had all the tools out being used. The guy running the place gave us a tutorial on hand-made cuckoo clocks versus mass-produced. It was quite interesting and I loved it. I would have bought a clock had I remembered to bring a form that saves us 19%. It a place we will go back to when it warms up.





Before heading home, we decided to check out a tea room that looked like something from a Jane Austen book. Brian didn't seem like the kind of man who would voluntarily walk into a tea room, but he was game when he also saw they had coffee and desserts. And in case you were wondering, he was able to get out by Sunday.

1 comment:

  1. I do love Black Forest cuckoo clocks. I inherited one from my grandmother, but alas, the weights and cats do not go together at all well.

    ReplyDelete