Tuesday, March 23, 2010
Hohenzollern Castle
We decided to get out a little and see a castle. In the pictures of it, it is at the top of a hill. We really didn't think much about that until we saw tons of stairs on our way up. This was just 1 section of the walk up, but I can't think of many people who wouldn't have to stop and catch their breath at least once on this climb.
This is our first taste of Hohenzollern castle. It does conjure up thoughts of beautiful princesses and brave knights on white horses. Ashton's mouth was gaping in the beginning of the castle. Processing it all and then saying that it reminded him of a place in Lord of The Rings, but cooler.
William and I in front of a locked gate to the cemetery. My hair is normally not that wild, but being on top of a mountain, there tends to be quite a breeze. I was thankful we brought our coats.
Mike and the boys in one of the many towers. There were tons of little places to look at and hide in. I imagine that it would be a great place to play hide and seek.
Taken from one of the five sections before getting to the inner sanctum of the castle. Ashton counted all the moats and gates you had to get through. Apparently storming this castle was no easy task. In case you are wondering, the boys want to move there.
This is the inner sanctum of the castle. Complete with two chapels, a courtyard, a castle garden, a restaurant, library, treasury, and a casemate. On a historic note, the origins of the Hohenzollern dynasty can be traced back nearly one thousand years. This was the home of Fredrick the Great, Queen Louis, and even the home of Empress Victoria, the oldest daughter of Queen Victoria of England. This was the home of the Prussian monarchs and is still used today.
This cannon was in the middle of the courtyard. William thought it was awesome and asked me to take a picture of it. How could I deny him?
This just one of the reasons I loved this castle. They even have a special place for our dogs to drink a little water.
Ashton just before we descended into the dungeon. There were no skeletons hanging from nooses or chains on the walls, but it was still spooky none the less.
One thing we did notice is that the dungeon wasn't made for tall people. I even felt tall in that area. Mike must have felt like a giant.
Our lunch was in the restaurant at the castle while we waiting for the English tour that started about an hour later. Ashton loves to prepare my tea for me any time we are out. It was a lovely place until a bunch of loud Italians came in. We figured they were on the English tour and decided to just take the quieter German tour ahead of them.
These were the fancy shoes we were given to wear over our street shoes so we didn't mess the the floors. Ashton and William got lots of smiles as they slid there way down the rooms. I think they were just getting in more floor polishing.
I would have loved to take pictures of the rooms, but I was afraid I would get in trouble. Getting yelled at in German is not fun.
The armory was by far the guys' favorite part. Not just Ashton and William, but Mike as well. He had a great time pointing out all the weapons and what they all did. The boys were fascinated by it all and Mike could put some of his Dungeons and Dragons knowledge to use.
The boys got to get some pretty awesome shields from the gift shop. They now go around the house sword fighting with their swords from Esslingen and their Hohenzollern shields. What another great adventure.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)














We have been like 4 times since we have been here and we only hiked up the first time...with baby stroller! We take the shuttle up now. Our kids got their first shild and swords there too!
ReplyDelete